Wednesday, June 19, 2013

On Wednesdays We Wear Pink: Tape Mani

Hiiiiii everybody! It's Wednesday once again, and you know what that means: it's OWWWP time! 

Lately I'm obsessing over tape manis ever since I decided to recreate this mani by Nicole of the Young Wild and Polished blog. I've been following her on Instagram and she's holding a contest of a recreation of her mani. But, sad thing is I needed to also have a YouTube account (which I don't have) so I can't join. I still decided to draw inspiration from her and since then, I'm hooked on tape manis!


I used two pinks for this mani: Orly Artifical Sweetener and Sinful Colors Folly.

I used the Orly for the base and the Sinful Colors for the secondary color.

In hindsight, I should've taken the opportunity to do a tutorial for you guys, but I'm just going to save that for sometime. (Hmm... I'm getting an idea... Tutorial Tuesdays, anyone?)


I used striping tape to make the thin lines. If you're wondering what striping tape looks like, it looks like this:


I bought my striping tape from eBay (the name of the seller escapes me right now) and they're pretty cheap. If you're ordering from a seller from China, it's like a dollar or so for about eight to ten rolls, but shipping can take anywhere from one to four weeks. I ordered mine from a US seller; it's about $3 (with free shipping) but it came in less than a week. I got eight rolls.



Here is the end result of my OWWWP tape mani:




Don't you just hate it when the color doesn't translate well on camera? Folly (the bright pink) is less red and a more darker pink in person. It pretty much looks like a neon. It's very shiny though, which explains the crazy glare.

I tried taking a picture outside in sunlight just to see if the camera will pick up the color better, and here is how it looks like:


It still looks pretty much the same to me. Gahhh I hate when I can't capture the true color!


I really enjoyed doing this mani, even though it's a bit time-consuming and painstaking to place the tape just right. I do have a tip, and that's to remove the tape as soon as you can, because if you take too long to remove it, the polish will start to get stringy and stick to the tape. Also, make sure the base coat is completely dry to avoid it getting pulled by the tape.


I hope you enjoyed today's post, and I hope to see you again on the next OWWWP post!


*I bought these polishes with my own money. Orly can be found at beauty supply stores, Sally Beauty, and you can check their website and enter your zip code to find a salon near you. Sinful Colors can be found at most drugstores and at Target and Walmart.*


*Disclaimer: Due to variations in screen displays and resolutions, polishes may appear different to each reader. I try my best to capture colors as accurately as I can, and if I can't, then I try to describe the color/s to the best of my ability.*

No comments:

Post a Comment