Monday, July 1, 2013

Mainstream Mondays: Essie Naughty Nautical Summer 2013 Collection

Hellooooo errbodyyy!!! It's that time of the week again! Today I have the six polishes from the Essie Naughty Nautical Summer 2013 Collection to share with you.

This collection has been out for sometime now, but I only got the chance to own it a few days back. I don't own many Essie polishes, but these colors caught my eye! They're a bright and fun way to celebrate summer.

So, let's get right to the swatches, shall we? :)


First, we have The More The Merrier.



The More The Merrier is a slightly dusty lime green crème. Not as bright as neon but not so murky either. It actually looks like a pea green to me lol! It's brighter and lighter in person. This polish was a bit difficult to work with, or maybe it was just me. I've been having a terrible time with polishes lately, hence the lack of nail posts on IG and the blog. I found this one to be a little on the thick side. I used three coats plus top coat for this swatch. Also, this is the only polish without the silver shimmer.


Next is the namesake of the collection: Naughty Nautical.



Naughty Nautical is a teal, that leans towards more to the green side of teal, with fine silver fleck shimmer running through it. This one wasn't as hard to work with as TMTM, but I did use three coats for this swatch just because I felt like it didn't look as good with two coats. Again, it might just be me and not the polish itself.


And now we have Rock the Boat.



Rock the Boat is a pale periwinkle with the same shimmer as Naughty Nautical. It's less bright and blue than it shows on the pictures. In fact, it's actually very pale! This was also the one I had the most problems with. I used four (yes, four!) coats plus top coat and it still didn't look even to me. I even reswatched but still the same results...


Next, we have Full Steam Ahead.



Full Steam Ahead is a pastel violet, but with the same shimmer as NN and RtB running through it. I liked this one! It was easy to work with, had a good formula and leveled itself out. For this swatch I used three coats but that's because I'm a three-coater person. You could get away with two if you're careful and patient enough.


And here we have The Girls Are Out.



I would describe The Girls Are Out as an orchid violet, with the same shimmer as NN, Rtb and FSA. I thought this shade looked familiar and it did remind me of Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Cherry Cherry Bang Bang, but that one doesn't have shimmer. This was also easy to work with, good formula and leveled nicely. I used three coats (surprise, surprise) because I felt like the color wasn't saturated enough with two. The color is also darker and more saturated in person.


Last but not the least, we have Sunday Funday.



Sunday Funday is a bright peachy coral with the same shimmer as NN, RtB, FSA and TGAO. It's not as... orange... as it appears on the picture. I don't know why it insists on showing up that way! It's more peachy in person. I personally don't like the way it looks on me, as it makes me look darker than I really am, but it would probably look better as a pedi or something. That's not saying it's not a beautiful color because it is a pretty color, but probably more suited to a fairer-skinned person. I used three coats for this swatch but you can get away with two.


Thoughts? I like most of the colors in this collection. The ones I liked the most were Naughty Nautical, Full Steam Ahead and The Girls Are Out. Sunday Funday was so-so for me. The ones I liked the least are The More The Merrier and Rock the Boat, both because of the colors and the formulas. There probably are colors similar to these, but what makes them a bit different is the fine silver fleck shimmer running through it. The formulas are alright, most were like crelly to me. Only The More The Merrier was the one that applied more like a crème.


Would I recommend these polishes? Yes and no. I would recommend these just because the shimmer is pretty and the colors are beautiful, but if you don't like some of the colors from the collection then you can just pick your favorites. I personally would recommend Naughty Nautical, Full Steam Ahead and The Girls Are Out.


That's it for this week's Mainstream Mondays and I hope you join me again next time!


*I bought these polishes with my own money from Nuvia of @girlsobsessionz on IG. You can also contact her on Kik at pinkluv3r. The whole set was $35 including shipping.*


*Disclaimer: Due to variations in screen displays and resolutions, polishes may appear different to each reader. I try my best to capture colors as accurately as I can, and if I can't, then I try to describe the color/s to the best of my ability.*

3 comments:

  1. This collection is on sale at Cut&Blow for $5 a pop. I was hesitant, but once I saw your swatches on IG, i figured I should get a few. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. How much was shipping through Cut&Blow? I've never tried visiting that site... And I'm flattered that my swatches convinced you to buy a few ;)

      Delete
  2. Last time I bought polish it was $5 shipping, and I got 6 polishes. They have a lot of polish deals, usually OPI/Essie/CG.

    ReplyDelete